Truck Accident Lawyer
In Ontario, there were 60,544 motor vehicle accidents involving trucks in 2021. This is a substantial increase of 9% compared to the year prior. The increased popularity of motor vehicle accidents involving trucks emphasizes one’s need to find a reliable truck accident lawyer. Get a free consultation with us today.
Common Causes of Truck Accidents
There is no denying that when transportation accidents occur, the people involved are frequently left with very significant injuries, and in some cases, fatalities. It is important to select a skilled trucking accident attorney to represent you since handling a trucking accident may be highly complex and challenging. Large truck crashes accounted for over 19% of traffic deaths last year, and they were also involved in roughly 2956 recorded accidents. The number of commercial automobile accidents and fatalities involving large trucks in Ontario increased to its peak level in more than 20 years in 2020. In addition, transport truck accidents spiked 40%. This further illustrates the increased likelihood of witnessing or being part of a truck accident.
Why Do You Need a Truck Accident Lawyer in Toronto?
After suffering a truck accident, you might be curious as to whether a lawyer is the best choice. Contacting an accident lawyer gives you a series of advantages:
- Understanding of trucking regulations: Truck accident lawyers have a deep understanding of national and state trucking regulations, which can be complicated. They can use this knowledge to investigate the accident and determine whether the truck driver or trucking company violated any regulations.
- Gathering evidence & investigation: After an accident, a lawyer will conduct a thorough investigation of the accident scene, gather evidence, and interview witnesses. This can be critical in building a strong case.
- Negotiation with insurance companies: Trucking companies and their insurance companies often have teams of lawyers and adjusters who will try to minimize their liability and pay out as little as possible. An accident lawyer can negotiate with these parties on your behalf to ensure that you receive fair compensation for your injuries and damages.
- Court representation: If the case goes to court, a truck accident lawyer can represent you and fight for your rights. They can present evidence, cross-examine witnesses, and argue your case before a judge and jury.
- Experience with similar cases: A truck accident lawyer who has experience handling similar cases can provide valuable insights and advice based on their past successes and failures.
What Sort Of Benefits Could You Be Entitled For?
If you are injured in an accident involving a motor vehicle, you are entitled to apply for medical, economic, and other benefits. It does not matter who is at fault for the accident. If you are injured because of an accident, you are entitled to apply, even if you do not have insurance.
The amount and type of benefits available depend on the type of injury. There are three main categories of injuries: Minor injuries, Catastrophic, and Non-catastrophic.
A common dispute with the insurance company and the insurance adjuster is a difference of opinion with respect to the category of the injury.
Statutory accident benefits cover a wide range of damages, regardless of who caused the accident. SABS lists some of the available benefits:
- Income replacement benefit – If you are unable to work because of your injuries, you can receive up to 70 percent of your gross weekly income (with a max figure of $400.00 per week and a max duration of 104 weeks). If you are unable to do any job that is reasonably suited for you can receive benefits for 104 weeks.
- Non-earner benefit – If you don’t qualify for income replacement benefits but are at least 18 and “suffer a complete inability to carry on your normal life,” you can receive non-earner benefits, which entitle you to $185.00 per week for a period of 104 weeks.
- Medical and rehabilitation benefits – Medical and rehabilitation benefits – covers medical and therapeutic expenses not covered under OHIP. Common items include physiotherapy, chiropractic, massage, acupuncture, medications, assistive devices, and home and vehicle modifications. There is a maximum amount available depending upon the severity of the injuries of $3500 for a Minor Injury, $65,000 for a non-catastrophic injury and $1,000,000 for a catastrophic injury unless you have optional benefits.
- Attendant care benefits – If your injuries require you to hire an attendant to assist you with personal care activities, this benefit will provide you with up to $3,000 per month to help with the costs.
- Expenses of immediate family members to the hospital.
- Reimbursement for personal effects destroyed in an accident.
- Funeral and Death Benefits
How MK Law Can Help You with Your Truck Accident Claim **
MK Law consists of a team of experienced lawyers, working primarily on accident claims. With over 10 years of experience, we understand how traumatic and complicated the process can be.
Our team is aware of how complicated it can be for injury victims to travel, so we are able to provide flexible ways to communicate with us, whether it is through online calls, or home and hospital visits.